Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Mental Minute

I know I posted earlier this morning but I could not help post another one while I am still SO excited.

As you know I started back with my training today which I was really excited about this morning. As the day went on, as I am sure it does for most people, my excitement slowly started to dissipate. By the time 3 o'clock rolled around and it was time to head home and then over to the in-laws house I was starting to think up reasons why I couldn't go for my run today.

I don't have time after work.

It will be to late by the time we get home from dinner.

Blah blah blah the list could go on....

Well after a not so healthy but delicious pizza dinner it was around 8 o'clock when we headed home. At this point I already have it in my head that I am not going to go to the gym because it is to late and I am tired and I just want to go to bed. Well in a matter of minutes both of the important men in my life (Ken and Dad:D) reminded me of how I should go and I will feel so much better for it.

So when I walked in the door at home, before I could change my mind and come up with more reasons to slack off and call it quites for the night, I grabbed my workout gear (oops forgot water and a towel) and ran to my car to head to the gym.

Water-less and towel-less I jumped on the treadmill....entered in the terrible information they need (my weight? Really? Great so now a treadmill is going to judge me too) and got right to it.

My plan was to do 5K in less then an hour......that seems like a really long time but when I attempted a 5k run when I was sick that was about how long it took me. Well by the time I got warmed up I was back in my head like I usually am only this time it was all positive. I was determined to talk myself out of the fact that I was dreading the next 3.1 miles I was about to run/walk. And it worked!!!!

1.5 miles in a felt great.....don't get me wrong I was sweating probably more then the other 5 girls in the gym combined and I was huffing and puffing but not in the...oh shit I feel like I am going to pass out....kind of way, more in the this is awesome...I am tired but this is still awesome...kind of way. As time went on I was still sweating and huffing and puffing even more, and my feet were really sore (time for new shoes?!!) and I had just under 3/4 of a mile to go. I think I was sitting at 41.5 minutes. I got a huge boost and ripped through the last part of my run.

I increased my time by 1 min since the last time I did a 5k run when I wasn't fighting a cough and cold. And it feels amazing.

Not only because I ran it 1 min faster but because I mentally overcame that last minute of the run, where I normally want to jump off the treadmill and say "we will just round it up to 5k". I busted through the last minute because I KNEW that I could. There was no question of whether I could or not. I knew that I could and I was more then happy to sprint to the finish.

This confidence thing is a work in progress but I have to tell you, if this is what victories, big or small, are going to feel like....I could get used to this.

"Today I do what other wont, so tomorrow I can do what others cant"

Night everybody!!

4 comments:

  1. Freakin awesome! That is so inspiring. The battle of the 2 voices, one says its ok to to not do it, its late, it ok do it tomorrow. The other is you can do this, this is awesome, get thru it, HTFU and just go. We now know which one is louder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we do. I am fully prepared for the "NO" voice to scream sometimes but I am slowly started to realize that the no voice can scream as loud as it wants.....my yes voice will always be louder

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet Kales, I have loved to read what you write since you could write! Keep on keeping on babe, so proud of you.......you keep me motivated.

    auntie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring Kales, I almost talked myself out of my work-out today and then I read this and (after spending half an hour trying to figure out how to join your circle:) I am headed to my work out with my last hour of Olivia's nap!
    Yes this life is a journey that's for sure and it will be full of tough times and it is not those losses or slip-ups that define you but it's what you do with them that defines you. I love listening to you learn how you will continue to define yourself. You are worth it, and you can do it and this thanks to you will be my mantra during todays workout.........

    ReplyDelete